Institut Polytechnique de Paris
Ecole Polytechnique ENSTA Ecole des Ponts ENSAE Télécom Paris Télécom SudParis

International students

International students

5 reasons to study at the Institut Polytechnique de Paris

  • Hold a degree recognized worldwide
  • Benefit from a top level education in engineering
  • Study in a dynamic and inspiring environment surrounded by high-level researchers
  • Be immersed in a multicultural environment
  • Discover Paris, France and Europe



Fees are specific to each program. Fees are specified in each program description.

Language requirements

Courses are taught either in French or English. The language requirements are specified in each program description.


Scholarships are available for international students.

Long stay student visa

If you are a national of a European Economic Area country (European Union countries (EU), Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein) or Switzerland, you don’t need any visa to study in France.

If you are not a national of a European Economic Area country (European Union countries, Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein) or Switzerland, you must request a student long stay visa which is valid as a French residence permit (VLS-TS = Visa étudiant Long Séjour valant Titre de Séjour).

This visa allows you to remain in France for one year. You are not required to apply for a  residence permit during this time. Your visa will need to be approved by the OFII (the French Immigration and Integration Office) within the first 3 months after your arrival in France at

Visa application

Find your Campus France space :

You should start the process at the latest 2 months before departure!

Residence permit renewal

If you are already in France, you might need to apply or renew your French student residence permit.

An online procedure was implemented by the French government in September 2020.

The website is the same than for student long stay visa validation :

It’s available in English and French.

Tutorial video

More information 

Living in France

Health insurance

Please note that registration with the French Public Health Insurance is mandatory in France when you enroll in a Higher Education Institution. It provides a partial coverage of your medical expenses.


  • Students residing in one of the 27 EU countries, Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway or Switzerland, who are already affiliated to a national health insurance provider, who hold the European health insurance card (EHIC). This card is free and will give you access to state-provided healthcare during your stay in France under the same conditions and at the same cost as nationals.
  • Students from Quebec holding the #SE401Q106 Form are exempt from registering with the French social security health insurance.

All the necessary steps to register for social security should be taken upon your arrival in France on

More information on the French Public Health Insurance

For better coverage of medical expenses, you can complement the basic French social security health insurance with complementary health insurance called mutuelle. Subscription to a mutuelle is not compulsory but highly recommended.

Subscription to a civil liability insurance is compulsory.

A civil liability is an insurance that provides coverage for provisions under civil law. Civil liability insurance policies will pay for the damages that you may cause to someone else or their belongings. It is mandatory for the students enrolled in French higher education institutions to subscribe to a civil liability insurance policy for their studies (including internships). It can be included in different insurance packages (bank insurance, home insurance, car insurance, complementary health insurance = mutuelle). If you are not in France yet, you’ll subscribe at your arrival.

Examples of student mutuelle/insurance providers :


Different kinds of accommodations are available: university residences, guest houses, private apartments.

Prepare your arrival

You can also create an account  on to help you prepare your journey and your stay in France.