The distinctive french ingénieur program
French ingénieur programs delivered by the Schools of Institut Polytechnique de Paris have the following features:
- Granting graduates the “Titre d’Ingénieur” (Master of Science in Engineering) and conferring the European degree of Master recognized worldwide
- Highly-selective entrance examination
- A multidisciplinary education offering:
- Fundamental sciences: in particular Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry
- Engineering sciences
- Quantitative social sciences
- Business, Management and Innovation
- Humanities (Sustainable Development, Corporate Social Responsibility, Ethics)
- Internationalization skills (Foreign Languages, Geopolitics)
- Soft skills (communication, critical thinking) and an international perspective
- A strong interaction with companies (education, research, management)
- Rich opportunities for internships, mandatory in the curriculum
- Host research laboratories associated with Doctorate Schools
- The opportunity to undertake a PhD after graduation
- Exciting and successful careers
Why choose the IP Paris graduate engineering program?
IP Paris will enable you to:
- Experience France’s most elite education in Engineering
- Customize your program of study
- Nurture ties with major international companies (internships, chairs, joint-labs, sponsorships, coaching, guest lecturers)
- Benefit from high quality campus infrastructures for study, sports and leisure
- Be offered PhD opportunities after graduation, especially in one of the 30 IP Paris Laboratories
- Have access to high-level professional positions
- Be awarded top entry salaries
- 95% employability rate in under 4 months after graduation in
- Be a high profile candidate for international companies, SMEs, start-ups
- Be offered career opportunities in a wide range of sectors, including IT, deep-tech, finance, energy, environment, transport, cybersecurity, nanotechnologies, AI, data science, robotics
- Integrate a strategic alumni network including the CEOs of major international companies, entrepreneurs and renowned researchers
You may be admitted to one of the five Schools on the basis of your results on the highly competitive IP Paris entrance examination. Registration is open to all candidates meeting the conditions below.
For any questions:
September 27, 2020
Shorlists of applicants by program - eligibility
November 16 to 30
December 1 to 3
Students rank their desired Schools
Final decision of acceptance
Please note that, depending on your academic background you will be admitted either in the 1st year or 2nd year of the curriculum.
- Applicants must have completed at least 2 years of undergraduate studies in Science, Engineering or Quantitative Economics & Finance.
- Applicants must be enrolled in a foreign (non-French) undergraduate program in a higher education institution outside France.
- Applicants may apply from their 2nd year up to their last year of undergraduate studies in their home university.
- An excellent background in Mathematics and/or Physics are keys to success.
- Degree seeking students registered in a higher education institution in France are not eligible.
- Knowledge of French is not required to apply. The full application process as well as all the entrance examinations can be taken either in English or in French. However, some Schools require students to speak basic French when entering the program (more details below).
Specific additional requirements for École Polytechnique program
- Applicants must be under 25 years of age on January 1st, 2021.
- French citizens, including those with dual nationality, will not be admitted through the international admission exam.
- Applicants may not apply more than once.
- Applicants must meet the medically defined criteria of physical fitness.
The initial selection is primarily based on the applicants’ academic background, statement of purpose and reference letters.
- Register online: dca-concours.polytechnique.fr
- Create your candidate account
- Fill in the application (you can come back at any point)
- Only one application per program is allowed each academic year
- You may only apply through one of the application paths
- Upload your documents
- Submit your application before the deadline. No changes will be allowed after submission of your application.
- Statement of Purpose
- Candidate’s CV
- Abstract of courses list
- Official academic transcripts since the beginning of the university studies
- Official ranking certificates at university
- Application form for international admission (official statement)
- Official proof of citizenship: copy of passport or ID
- Candidate’s picture
- Financial resources form
- Reference letters: name, title and e-mail address of at least 2 professors or educational advisors
- Official certificates of degrees received mentioned in the application
- Certificates of honours and prizes mentioned in the application
- Official score reports for language tests mentioned in the application
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the written exams have been cancelled. The oral exams are maintained.
Written and oral exams can be taken in French or in English. Written exams are held at an examination centre on a single day. For a candidate, all oral exams are also organized on a single day.
- The program corresponds to the skills and knowledge considered necessary to succeed in engineering programs.
- Each School will use a different set of exams and weights to grant admission.
- The General Scientific Knowledge oral test is an interview focusing on the analysis of scientific documents preceded by a 30-min preparation period. Please note that documents are not restricted to Mathematics and Physics.
- Motivation interview: this is not a test but a conversation to better understand your motivations for the engineering programs to which you are applying.
Leatn more about IP Paris member institutions
École Polytechnique offers a 3-year Engineer Degree Program, which is completed by one-year specialization. Students spend the first three years studying for a Master of Engineering, Science and Technology, and complete this degree with a fourth year of specialization to receive a second master degree and the Diploma of École polytechnique. École Polytechnique ensures that students graduate with both an excellent scientific education and a strong multidisciplinary background. The curriculum focuses mainly on science, with classes in Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Economics, Computer Science, Mechanics, but also includes a variety of other subjects like Foreign Languages, Sports, Humanities, Social Sciences, Arts and Literature.
Founded in 1741, ENSTA Paris is the oldest and one of the most renowned Graduate Schools of Engineering in France, specialized in Applied Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering, Information and Communication Science & Technology, leading to careers in Transportation, Energy, Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, Engineering Mathematics among others.
ENSTA Paris Ingénieur program offers students a multidisciplinary education in Engineering by providing high-level scientific courses, up-to-date with the latest changes in cutting-edge technologies, combined with close links with world-leading companies, and transversal skills such as Economics, Management, Innovation and Entrepreneurship.
ENSAE Paris offers a three-year Program. ENSAE graduates are trained to harness the potential of the massive and complex data available to firms and public institutions, and interpret them “smartly” for evaluation, prediction and decision-making. ENSAE’s core courses consist of a special blend of Economics, Statistics, Econometrics and Machine learning, all taught with strong mathematical foundations and coupled with the ability to apply the methods to real-life topics. This unique core curriculum, complemented with advanced specialization tracks in Economics, Statistical Learning, Quantitative Finance and Actuarial Science, is ENSAE’s take on “Data Science”. A small institution, ENSAE prides itself in “knowing students by their first names”, accompanying them in their project, offering challenging courses taught by its internationally recognized faculty, and leading to high-paid career paths.
Télécom Paris is the French leading school in digital technology with its strong links with companies, ensuring excellent employability rates in all sectors and is ranked number one among major engineering schools for digital technology. Offering excellence in teaching and innovative educational methods, Télécom Paris is at the forefront of a unique innovation ecosystem founded on cross-disciplinary and interactive training, interdisciplinary research, incubators and accelerators for start-ups, and several campuses (Paris, Sophia Antipolis, Shanghai). The school’s laboratories have been recognized as leading forces in the fields of digital science, with remarkable international standing, impressive business volumes with the socioeconomic and corporate worlds, and a strong commitment to training.
Télécom SudParis’ graduates obtain a Master’s in Engineering, and recognized by businesses in France and internationally. Télécom SudParis is positioned across the entire array of digital fields. Télécom SudParis engineers are poised to play a central role in a major challenge facing society: the digital metamorphosis and the transformation of society and businesses. Graduates not only acquire in-depth technical knowledge, they are also provided with strong project-management, social and managerial skills and taught to adapt to multicultural and changing environments.