Medical Fellows Program
The Engineering for Health (E4H) Interdisciplinary Center of Institut Polytechnique de Paris invites applications for its Medical Fellows Program financed by the ANR grant ExcellencES “Science and Technology at Polytechnique Paris (STeP2)”.
The E4H Medical Fellows Program supports medical doctors who wish to have an academic research experience to pursue an ambitious scientific research project at the Institut Polytechnique de Paris (IP Paris).
The program finances one year salary for physicians who have completed their hospital training (internat) or who will complete it by December 31, 2025. For the 2024 cycle, one contract will be funded.
E4H Medical Fellowships offer a unique opportunity to work in an excellent academic environment and to build strong links with scientific collaborators. Recipients will work full-time in one of the IP Paris laboratories under the supervision of one or more of its researchers. A combination of activities may be authorized after prior request and on condition that the activity is specified during the Phase II of the evaluation procedure (see below).
Application Procedure and Timeline
Each project must have a single principal investigator (PI) from IP Paris.
The application, written in English, consists of a single document containing:
- A cover page that provides the title of the project, the names and affiliations of the PI, a short non-confidential abstract, and up to five keywords (1 page)
- A research project that describes the scientific scope, project timeline and future perspectives (maximum 2 pages excluding references; no appendices are allowed)
- Description of the envisioned impact of the project and its fit with E4H (maximum 1 page).
- Biographical sketch of the PI as well as information about his/her team and available resources (maximum 2 pages)
- Ethics/animal welfare committee approval (or concrete plans for submitting applications for approval) for projects involving animal or human studies
Projects that do not adhere strictly to the above instructions and page limits will be penalized.
Applications should be submitted electronically as a single PDF file uploaded to the following application form.
Applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. CET (Central European Time) on Monday January 15, 2024.
Late applications will not be accepted and will be returned to the applicant.
Funding decisions are expected in April 2024.
Evaluation Procedure and Selection Criteria
The selection process is divided into two phases:
Phase I: Project submission and approval
- Submission of the scientific project (Deadline Monday January 15, 2024)
- Verification by the E4H Steering Committee that the submitted projects fall within the scope of E4H
- Notification by the E4H Steering Committee that projects falling within the scope of E4H can proceed to the identification of a candidate (January - early April 2024). This notification does not indicate funding of the project. Funding decisions will be made at the end of Phase II.
Phase II: Candidate selection
- The PI is responsible for identifying a single physician candidate whose credentials (CV and personal statement) are submitted to the E4H Steering Committee (Deadline Friday April 5, 2024).
- The E4H Steering Committee determines the final laureate. The candidates may be required to make an oral presentation on Thursday April 25, 2024.
The final decision will be based on the excellence of the candidates and the adequacy of their training with the proposed research project. Failure to finalize the recruitment of the selected candidate will result in loss of the funding. The selected medical fellows must officially accept the offer no later than 3 weeks following the announcement of the results; failure to do so may result in reallocation of the funds.
Applications from physicians affiliated with the Groupe Hôspitalier Paris Saint-Joseph, a founding partner of E4H, are strongly encouraged and will receive special consideration during the selection process.
A brief scientific report is expected at the end of the project.
For further information, please contact Silvia Corsini: email@example.com
Previous Medical Fellowship Laureates
- Alexandra HAUGEL, under the supervision of Abdul BARAKAT (LadHyX, École polytechnique) for the project entitled Patient-Specific Biomechanics of Thoracic Endovascular Aortic Repair
- Benjamin MEMMI, under the supervision of Jean-Marc ALLAIN (LMS, École polytechnique) for the project entitled Comparison of in-vivo and ex-vivo measurements of corneal mechanical properties: application to myopia treatment