Water, Air, Pollution & Energies
The purpose of the WAPE track is to give students a thorough knowledge of the laws and interactions governing the evolution of our natural environment at local and regional scales to prepare them for a successful career in academia or industry. Following this general framework, the WAPE track presents the dynamical, physical and biochemical processes driving ocean, atmosphere, air pollution and water cycle at local and regional scales. The links with the renewable energy production problem will also be addressed. Modern meteorological or oceanographic modelling and forecasting methods are considered. Efficient and innovative observational techniques are also described, studied and tested.
Language of instruction: English
Oriented: Industry & Research
Duration: 1 year
Courses Location: Polytechnique Campus and Jussieu Campus (PSU)
It is expected that graduates of the program will have learned to critically assess the relevance and validity of different approaches to complex environmental problems. They will be able to determine the proper parameters, develop efficient numerical algorithms and select appropriate measurement techniques relevant to specific impact studies or societal demands. Even more importantly, they will have acquired a sound understanding of environment physics and dynamics. Finally, they will be able to work and communicate effectively in an English-speaking environment.
Each curriculum consists in 30 ECTS of courses chosen in the lists below (or in another curriculum), and 30 ECTS of industry opening activities and a five-month internship.
Individual tracks may be constructed centered on oceanographic, atmospheric or energetic problems or mixed, however the choice of the courses is subject to approval by the program directors.
Course’s list subject to moderate changes
- Climate change and energy transition (P. Drobinski, X-IPParis, 3 ECTS)
- Coastal Hydrodynamics (A.Stegner, P. Bouruet-Aubertot, ENSTA-IPParis, 3ECTS)
- Greenhouse Gazes challenges & observations (C. Crévoisier, X-IPParis, 3ECTS)
- Sea state, Coastal waves and wave energy (M.Yates, ENSTA-IPParis, 3ECTS)
- Introduction to atmospheric composition (S.Mailler, Ponts, 3ECTS)
- Introduction to Data Assimilation (M. Bocquet, Ponts, 3ECTS)
- Computational mechanics for ocean & atmosphere (F. Hourdin, CNRS, Th Dubos X-IPParis, 3ECTS)
- General circulation of the atmosphere (F.Lott, ENS, M.Bonazzola, PSU, 3ECTS)
- Clouds, Aerosols and precipitations (H.Chepfer, J.C.Rault, PSU, 3ECTS)
- Physical Oceanography (P.Bouruet-Aubretot, PSU, 3ECTS)
- Atmospheric dynamics and energetics (H.Letreut, PSU, 3 ECTS)
– Biogeochemical cycles in the ocean (M.Levy X-IPParis, L.Bopp, ENS, 3ECTS)
- Advanced experimental methods (P.Bouruet-Aubertot, PSU, L.Mortier, ENSTA, 3ECTS)
At Ecole Polytechnique, the WAPE program is widely based on the research and tutorial resources of the Dynamic Meteorology Laboratory (LMD), and, in the broader Paris area, the program relies on the research resources of the Institut Pierre Simon Laplace (IPSL), an institute gathering nine laboratories whose research topics concern the global environment.
This Master’s program is well adapted for the study of the hydrospheric and atmospheric environment subject to economic or social pressure and climate change. The advanced training offered by the program makes students specialists in the physics and dynamics of atmospheric or coastal environment and in their evolutions associated to climate change. Graduate of the Master’s program can then apply to companies or agencies concerned with environmental problems and/or evaluating environmental or climatic risk or dealing with management and optimization of natural resources or renewable energies. Alternatively, graduates of the master’s program can undertake a PhD thesis, which opens the way for a research career in academic or industrial world.
The WAPE program is organised by Ecole Polytechnique and ENSTA Paris, two members of IP-Paris. WAPE is jointly organized with Sorbonne Université , Ecole Normale Supérieure and Ecole des Ponts ParisTech, as an international track associated to the Master MOCIS. Other specialties more focused on global climate or remote sensing are proposed within the Master MOCIS.
WAPE has concluded an agreement with Columbia University (NY, USA) allowing exchanges of students or lecturers. Selected students of the WAPE program will have the opportunity to spend their fall semester (September to December) in New-York (USA), following lectures at the Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences (DEES) at Columbia University. They will then come back to Paris the following January to complete their WAPE program. Applications to this exchange program have to be done by March 1, thus if interested contact as soon as possible the program directors.
WAPE is linked to several industrial partners who may give seminars, conferences or propose internships and often hire our students, among them: EDF, EDF Renouvelables,
Aria Technologies, QUANTOM, INERIS, KAYRROS, Descartes startup, AXA Global Parametrics, CLS, Météo-France, HYDRO-M, ELUM, Steadysun, IFREMER, EUMETSAT, France Energies Marines, CEREMA, ALMOTERRA, Eiffage Génie Maritime, Suez.
- The program is open to highly qualified international students with a strong background in Physics or Fluid Mechanics and in Applied Mathematics.
- Year M2 is offered to students who have successfully completed a first year of Master or the equivalent at graduate level.
- Admission of the students is based on the evaluation of academic transcripts, statement of purpose and letters of recommendation.
- The program being taught in English, a good level in this language is required.
Deadlines for the Master application sessions are as follows:
– First session: February 28, 2020
– Second session: April 30, 2020
– Third Session (optional): June 30, 2020 (only if there are availabilities remaining after the 2 first sessions)
Applications not finalized for a session will automatically be carried over to the next session.
You shall receive an answer 2 months after the application deadline of the session.
You can check your application status by logging in your candidate space.
National Master: Official tuition fees of the Ministry of Higher Education, Research and innovation (2019-2020, EU students: 243 euros / Non-EU students: 3770 euros)
Ecole Polytechnique Energy & Environment Master Programs