Material sciences and
nano-objects – nanomat
SMNO-nanomat offers a complete high-level theoretical and experimental training on materials and their applications. Concerned systems are nanostructured materials, 2D materials, thin films, materials for energy, materials under extreme conditions, glasses, minerals and cultural heritage materials, with a systematic focus on the microscopic phenomena at the origin of their macroscopic properties. Student following the program will get the basic background allowing them to pursue in PhD in many different fields, either in an industrial or an academic environment.
Language of instruction: English
Oriented: academic research or industrial sector
Duration: 1 year
Courses Location: Sorbonne Université, Paris
The objective is two-fold: (i) to acquire the theoretical bases allowing a thorough understanding of the materials properties, (ii) to be trained in advanced experimental and numerical investigation methods. The program includes numerous tutorials, laboratories and numerical projects in relation with current scientific topics that can answer to societal challenges (renewable energies, ecology, health, heritage, …). The addressed topics concern optics, electronics, spintronics, superconductivity, correlated systems, physical chemistry of solids and high-density liquids, exploration of planetary interiors, interaction with the environment, etc.
The lectures are entirely in English; they are organized in teaching units, called UE for Unité d’Enseignement in French, credited by 3 or 6 ECTS. A standard pedagogical contract (30 ECTS) includes:
2 “basic” UE of 3 ECTS to be chosen among 4:
• Condensed matter physics level 1: basics *PCmat*
• Condensed matter physics level 2: magnetism and semiconductors physics
• Condensed matter physics level 3: correlated material physics
• Condensed matter chemistry
1 common core of 2 UE of 6 ECTS:
• Fundamental aspects and applications of different experimental and numerical methods of materials
– Diffraction, microscopy, local and non-local spectroscopies
– Functional theory of density, molecular dynamics, meta dynamics
• Practical works including laboratories and numerical projects, applying the fundamental concepts dealt with in the core and basic UE, in relation with the « materials » themes addressed in the optional UE.
2 optional UE of 6 ECTS, to be chosen among 12 (including 5 of the Master of Chemistry, taught in French):
• Surfaces, interfaces and nanostructures *PCmat*
• Nanoelectronics and devices with molecules and nanoparticles *PCmat*
• Nanostructures for optoelectronics and spintronics
• Advanced condensed matter physics
• Physics of macroscopic interfaces *PCmat*
• Non-crystalline solids and nanomineralogy *PCmat*
• Physics of materials under extreme conditions *PCmat*
• Matériaux pour un monde durable *PCmat*
• Biomatériaux et matériaux pour le vivant *PCmat*
• Revêtements et nanomatériaux supportés *PCmat*
• Modélisation des propriétés électroniques – Chimie quantique *PCmat*
• Modélisation multi-échelle des systèmes moléculaires complexes *PCmat*
The second semester of the M2 consists of a 5-6 months compulsory internship (30 ECTS), full time in a research unit of the public or industrial sector, focused on materials and nanosciences, in France or abroad.
Each year, about 200 internship proposals in more than 30 host laboratories are offered to the SMNO-nanomat students.
- Completion of the 1st year of a master program (Master 1) in Physics
Deadlines for the Master application sessions are as follows:
– First session: February 28, 2020
– Second session: April 30, 2020
– Third Session (optional): June 30, 2020 (only if there are availabilities remaining after the 2 first sessions)
Applications not finalized for a session will automatically be carried over to the next session.
You shall receive an answer 2 months after the application deadline of the session.
National Master: Official tuition fees of the Ministry of Higher Education, Research and innovation (2019-2020, EU students: 243 euros / Non-EU students: 3770 euros)
Thierry Gacoin (Ecole Polytechnique)