Lasers, Optics, Matter
The Laser, Optics, Matter course offers excellent training in Optics, Laser-Material Interaction and Photonics. It includes courses on concepts and fundamentals, supplemented by opening courses focused on the major fields of Optics: – Laser and non-linear optics – Fundamental physics of atoms, molecules,solids, plasmas – Electromagnetism and nanophotonics – Optoelectronics and optical communications – Atomic optics, Quantum optics and Quantum information. It is a very natural follow-up to the PA « Photons and Atoms » of Ecole polytechnique. Many IP Paris laboratories work on optics and photonics subjects (LOA, LOB, LULI, SAMOVAR, LTCI,…) and every year, students of this master’s degree join these laboratories to do their thesis work.
Language of instruction: mostly English
Duration: 1 year
Courses Location: Ecole Polytechnique / IOGS
The « Laser, Optics, Matter » (LOM) course covers the major fields of optics, light-matter interaction and the properties of matter (atoms, molecules, solids, plasmas). It focuses on the non-linear aspect of physics (lasers, non-linear electromagnetism) and on the quantum properties of media interacting with light. The courses cover both fundamental aspects, theoretical and experimental, as well as applications. A common training base (period Sept. to Dec.) allows students to follow more specific elective courses (period Jan.-Feb.) in the major fields of ultra-intense lasers and X-ray sources, nanophotonics and optoelectronics, atomic and molecular physics, quantum optics, biophysics, image sciences… The second semester is devoted to an internship of a minimum duration of 4 months.
6 courses to choose from:
• Laser Physics: 3 Ects, 16.5h courses,16.5h practical work
• Nonlinear Electromagnetism: 3 Ects, 18h courses,15h practical work
• Quantum Dynamics of Light-Matter Interaction:3 Ects, 33h courses practical work
• Quantum Optics: 3 Ects, 18h courses, 12h practical work
• Nanophotonics: 3 Ects, 24h courses, 6h practical work
• Optique des Milieux Solides : 3 Ects, 24h courses, 6h practical work
• Interaction between light and atoms: 3 Ects, 30h courses
• Mécanique quantique approfondie : 3 Ects, 30h courses, 3h practical work
• Plasma Physics: 3 Ects, 21h courses
• Non-Equilibrium Statistical Physics: 3 Ects, 21h courses
• Approche statistique en physique moléculaire : 3 Ects, 24h courses
• Structure moléculaire et transitions optiques : 3 Ects, 18h courses, 6h practical work
• Statistical Optics: 3 Ects, 18h courses, 12h practical work
• Optics Labworks: 3 Ects, 27h courses
4 courses to choose from:
• Advanced photonics : 3 Ects, 27h courses
• Dynamique des systèmes quantiques complexes : 3 Ects, 21h courses
• Fonction et intégration photonique : 3 Ects, 30h courses
• Technologie des lasers : 3 Ects 30h courses
• Biophotoniques : 3 Ects Courses, 30h courses
• Near field microscopy: 3, 18h courses
• Manipulation de systèmes quantiques simples : 3 Ects, 24h courses
• Impulsions optiques ultra brèves et applications : 3 Ects, 21h courses
• Communications Quantiques : 3 Ects, 24h courses
• Visualisation : 3 Ects, 15h courses
• Optique de l’extrême : 3 Ects, 15h courses
• Atomes ultra-froids et simulateurs quantiques : 3 Ects, 21h courses
• Fibres avancées: 3 Ects, 15h courses
• Optics in Complex Media: 3 Ects, 21h courses
• Dynamique quantique des systèmes de plusieurs corps à falble énergie: 3 Ects, 21h courses
The main expected outcome is the continuation of the thesis, which currently concerns 75% of students in this M2. More than 200 internship/thesis subjects are offered each year to the students of the course. – The other outlet remains the Research and Development (R&D) business lines: Laser development, optical instrument design, image processing, security, microelectronics, telecommunications, optical materials, large instruments, optoelectronic components and systems, etc. All these fields fall within the scope of the activities of major groups such as Thales, Sagem, ESSILOR, L’Oréal, Alcatel-Lucent, Saint Gobain, Quantel, STMicro, but also ONERA, CNES, CEA (Laser MegaJoule, LETI), etc.
- Completion of the 1st year of a master program (Master 1) in Physics
Deadlines for the Master application sessions are as follows:
– First session: February 28, 2020
– Second session: April 30, 2020
– Third Session (optional): June 30, 2020 (only if there are availabilities remaining after the 2 first sessions)
Applications not finalized for a session will automatically be carried over to the next session.
You shall receive an answer 2 months after the application deadline of the session.
You can check your application status by logging in your candidate space.
National Master: Official tuition fees of the Ministry of Higher Education, Research and innovation (2019-2020, EU students: 243 euros / Non-EU students: 3770 euros)