The master of mechanics of IP Paris offers a high level research oriented graduate degree program covering a wide range of scientific domains from fundamental to applied mechanics.
The research areas concern smart structures, bio-mechanics, environmental sciences, complex fluids, turbulence, waves and metamaterials for instance.
Language of instruction: both English and French tracks are proposed
Oriented: research and industrial R&D
Duration: 1 year
Courses Location : École polytechnique, ENSTA Paris
The aim of this program is to provide a set of general concepts in mechanics as well as the most advanced and recent results of the research in the various domains of the program.
The first year consists in a common program that introduces all the fundamental knowledge and tools, followed by a set of elective classes on the different specialized domains.
- Continuum mechanics (3ECTS, X/ENSTA)
- Environment: atmosphere/ocean (3ECTS, X)
- Experimental methods (3ECTS, X/ENSTA)
- Incompressible flows (3ECTS, X/ENSTA)
- Mathematical tools for mechanics (3ECTS, X/ENSTA)
- Numerical methods (3ECTS, X/ENSTA)
- Waves and vibrations (3ECTS, X/ENSTA)
- Languages (5 ECTS)
Elective courses (4 to be chosen)
- Acoustics in fluid media (3ECTS, X/ENSTA)
- Climate (3ECTS, X/ENSTA)
- Compressible flows (3ECTS, X/ENSTA)
- Data and signal processing (3ECTS, X)
- Elastic solids (3ECTS, X/ENSTA)
- Finite element method (3ECTS, X/ENSTA)
- Fluid mechanics (advanced) (3ECTS, X/ENSTA)
- Fluid-structure interactions (3 ECTS, X/ENSTA)
- Mechanical principles of living organisms (3ECTS, X)
- Mechanics of materials (3ECTS, X/ENSTA)
- Microfluidics (3ECTS, X)
- Propagation of elastic and acoustic waves in inhomogeneous media (3ECTS, ENSTA)
- Introductory research project (3ECTS)
Research project in the lab (22 ECTS)
This program offers the possibility for each student to build her/his own degree providing various attractive opportunities, either in academic or industrial top research laboratories, or directly towards the advanced applicative domains (aerospace, biomedical engineering, energy, environment, …)
Involved Paris labs
- Dynamic Meteorology Laboratory (LMD)
- Solids Mechanics Laboratory (LMS)
- Hydrodynamics Laboratory (LadHyX)
- Institute of Mechanical Sciences and Industrial Applications (IMSIA)
- Sorbonne Université
- Paris 5
- AREVA, Renault
- Safran, Michelin
- Naval Group
Chairs and partnerships
- Bachelor of Science (or equivalent) in physics, mathematics….
- English or French
Deadlines for the Master application sessions are as follows:
– First session: February 28, 2020
– Second session: April 30, 2020
– Third Session (optional): June 30, 2020 (only if there are availabilities remaining after the 2 first sessions)
Applications not finalized for a session will automatically be carried over to the next session.
You shall receive an answer 2 months after the application deadline of the session.
National Master: Official tuition fees of the Ministry of Higher Education, Research and innovation (2019-2020, EU students: 243 euros / Non-EU students: 3770 euros)
Wave propagation and structural dynamics
Fluid mechanics and interface dynamics