The applied mathematics « flavor » aims to give a grounding in all main areas of applied mathematics (deterministic and stochastic modeling, optimization, control systems, statistics, scientific calculus), emphasizing both theoretical and practical aspects.
The program includes a substantial common core and gradually becomes more specialized. Attention is also paid to acquiring what are now essential skills: IT, English, communication and project management.
An internship carried out in an academic or company laboratory enables students to put into practice the knowledge and skills acquired on their study program.
This training leads naturally into M2 programs or final specializations in applied mathematics, both in theoretical and more applied aspects (modeling and simulation, numerical analysis of partial differential equations, statistics, optimization, operational research and finance). These degree programs lead to openings in many sectors in which modeling, simulation and optimization play a role (R&D sectors of big companies, university or major research institute laboratories).
Language of instruction: French
Oriented: Industry and research
Duration: 1 year
Courses Location: ENSTA Paris, 828 Boulevard des Maréchaux, 91762 Palaiseau
the program offers a wide range of applied mathematics courses: numerical analysis, random processes, optimization, system control, statistics, simulation tools. Applications of various kinds will be studied, but systematic emphasis will be placed on underlying mathematical models and structures as well as numerical methods of resolution. An important place will be reserved for implementation and numerical projects.
First semester (30 ECTS)
The S1 consists of a mathematical common core of 18 ECTS, a generalist common core of 8 ECTS, and two optional modules to introduce orientation.
Mathematical common core
• ANN201 : La méthode des élements finis (3 ECTS)
• OPT201 : Optimisation différentiable (3 ECTS)
• PRB201 : Chaînes de Markov (3 ECTS)
• STA201 : Modélisation statistique (3 ECTS)
• PRB202 : Martingales (2 ECTS)
• RO201 : Recherche opérationnelle (2 ECTS)
• ANA201 : Analyse fonctionnelle (2 ECTS)
Generalist common core
• SIM201 : Programmation scientifique en C++ (3 ECTS)
• SIM202 : Projet encadré (3 ECTS).
• Communication (2 ECTS)
Optional modules (2 ECTS each)
Two modules to choose.
• ANN202 : Approximation d’EDP par éléments finis (2 ECTS)
• STA202 : Séries chronologiques (2 ECTS)
• PRB203 : Calcul stochastique (2 ECTS)
• OPT202 : Optimisation différentiable 2 (2 ECTS)
• IN207 : Bases de données (2 ECTS)
Second semester (30 ECTS)
The S2 consists of the modules of
• AUT201 : Principes fondamentaux de l’automatique (2 ECTS)
• English (5 ECTS),
• Internship (15 ECTS)
• Two orientation modules of 4 ECTS each to be chosen from the list below.
• SIM203 : Calcul scientifique à haute performance (4 ECTS)
• PRB210 : Modèles stochastiques pour la finance (4 ECTS)
• STA203 : Apprentissage statistique (4 ECTS)
• ANA202 : Théorie spectrale (4 ECTS)
• RO203 : Jeux, graphes et recherche opérationnelle (4 ECTS)
• PRB220 : Méthodes numériques probabilistes (4 ECTS)
• STA210 : Méthodes de Monte-Carlo et Méthodes de rééchantillonnage (4 ECTS)
These degree programs lead to openings in many sectors in which modeling, simulation and optimization play a role (R&D sectors of big companies, university or major research institute laboratories).
• Université Paris Sud
• Université Paris-Saclay
- Bachelor of Science (or equivalent)
- Candidates must have a good scientific backgroundat level in mathematics or applied mathematics, and show, for example, an excellent foundation in analysis (uncluding integration and Hilbertian analysis), linear algebra, probability or statistics. A good knowledge of a programming tool is also required.
- A level in French at least equal to level B2 is required.
Deadlines for the Master application sessions are as follows:
– First session: February 28, 2020
– Second session: April 30, 2020
– Third Session (optional): June 30, 2020 (only if there are availabilities remaining after the 2 first sessions)
Applications not finalized for a session will automatically be carried over to the next session.
You shall receive an answer 2 months after the application deadline of the session.
You can check your application status by logging in your candidate space.
National Master: Official tuition fees of the Ministry of Higher Education, Research and innovation (2019-2020, EU students: 243 euros / Non-EU students: 3770 euros)